23 December 2017

Ever have one of those days when you feel like just quitting?

Oh man, how to write this post. OK, I have been wearing a hat of some sort for many years now. I started before I enlisted in the Marines. Yes, I was once in the Boy Scouts. True, I am older than the hills and twice as dusty, but the Boy Scouts DID exist when I was a kid. And YES I was a kid, many, many long years ago.
After my enlistment was over, I still wore a hat or cap, mostly the sort referred to in 'Merikkka as a baseball cap/hat. I had been wearing a cowboy type hat for over 12 years of later,  but decided to make a change to a smaller hat. Not quite what one would call a traditional fedora, but that sort of hat. I like wearing a hat or cap as I don't care to bother with sunglasses, so a hat brim helps keep my eyes shaded some.
On the summer cowboy hat I finally quit wearing I had some pins. One of them is my USMC Honorable Discharge tie-tack pin. Others include my "Vietnam Veterans Against War" pin and one that I am proud to wear; it has the Palestinian flag with the words "Free Palestine" across the flag symbol in gold colored letters. 
OK, how my day went off the deep end. I had to make a quick trip to the grocery store this afternoon. We'd forgot to put a few small items on our shopping list the last time we went shopping. With xmas approaching and the wife liking a particular flavor of artificial creamer, I had to do the store run. Oh, I had three letters/cards to drop off at the local Post Office as well. I got my groceries and was checking out when the cashier asked to see my hat pins. Trying to live up to the way I ask you all every post, I took off my hat and handed it to her. She sees the pin that says "Free Palestine" and I kid you not at all, looks right at me and says ;"Oh I just LOVE Israel too".  I'm standing there, waiting for my change and I am tempted to tell her that Palestine and Israel are NOT the same things. Now, to fully grasp my predicament, you need to have lived in the 'Merikkkan South. I have been living in central Louisiana since the spring of 2000, yeah, nearly 18 years now. These are the people who cling to their gods, guns, and holly buy-bulls. I seriously think the guns come first. This lady, probably in her early 50's, I am NOT good at all judging the age of any person, was obviously one of them xtians. Yep, a long time,church goer who is there any time the place is opened, unless it is her shift at the market. Who knows, she may ask for and get time off even then. 
I just sot of tried to not get into any discussion with her as it would have just pissed off the folks who were now in line behind me, waiting for me to go so they could get on with their own purchases. Also, I knew there was NO point at all in trying to correct this woman. She was obviously deeply indoctrinated into which ever brand of xtianity she has bought into. 
Another time and place and I would have told her that Israel is NOT Palestine and Palestine is NOT Israel. Maybe long, long ago, IF one buys the myth of that holly buy-bull, but not even close since 1948 when the zionists came to what had been Palestine and took over by force.  Hey, I suppose I should be happy she didn't turn my hat to see the "Intifada" pin on the right side of my new hat/ She'd have shit bricks had she seen that one. It has the word "Intifada" on it and has a photo of a small boy getting set to throw a rock at a zionist tank. No, of course there was no need at all to ask if she had voted for the orange haired rodent as out POTUS. Of course she did, bet her preacher and hubby told her to do so. Being a "good" and "obedient" xtian wife, she no doubt DID vote for Trump.  I left the store with mixed feelings. On the one hand, upset that she didn't seem to know Palestine is NOT Israel  but almost sorry for her that she doesn't know the truth.  Yes, I did say almost.
Almost because this IS 2017, hell nearly 2018 and by now every person in 'Merikkka ought to know the truth. Yeah, OK, call me a dreamer. Well, so said John Lennon in a song. At least it is still legal to dream in 'Merikkka, not sure for how much longer though.
I almost replied to her that, "I suppose somebody should love Israel", but kept quiet.  Sometimes saying nothing is the best option. 

Now, just because you have slogged through this post and tomorrow is Caturday, some extra LOL cats. Hey, you can never have too many LOL cats. (Bill, at some future point I may even toss in a few hotdogs, just for Bill)





OK folks, if this sarcastic/cynical old SOB can treat others the way I want to be treated, well, you all can at least TRY to do the same. Until next post. Who knows what/who may show up for Caturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, it sure has been a long time