28 October 2017

Yes, I did say I was not going to post much this Caturday. 
Well, I remembered I had two links that I wanted to share with you readers. It is now 10:13 PM central time so, close enough to Sunday for these links. Enjoy, or not, your choice. If you have been reading this blog, or if you have had email exchanges with me over the past years, you already know I do not believe in any religion. If you feel offended by these links, you need to get a sense of humor. Oh, you also need to realize that ALL religions are man made and based on myth.
Speaking of myth, I need to add the following. It is from Joseph Campbell who wrote more than a few books on myths. Way back, I think it was the 1980's, PBS, at least the PBS station in Los Angeles did a series on him and his lectures on myths. That same station also did a shorter series of talks between the late Mr. Campbell and Bill Moyers. Not sure if any of those are still available to view. They should be in my opinion.

Joseph Campbell; "Whenever the poetry of myth is interpreted as biography, history, or science, it is killed......"
"Furthermore, it is never difficult to demonstrate that the science or history of mythology is absurd. When a civilization begins to reinterpret its mythology in this way, the life goes out of it, temples become museums, and the links between the two perspectives dissolves."

Now for the links. Yes, again, both links come from the Onion. Often, there tends to be more truth in satire than what passes as truth from the news media.

Oh, wait, I already posted both links on Thursday. Yep, they were posted here on 26 October. Hey, I'm old and my brain isn't working so swift today.  But, what the heck, here they are again, because, well, why not.

Saint Peter scrambling

And the other link. Yeah, I really like this one.

Heavenly authorities arrest god

OK then, until next time, PLEASE try to treat everybody you come in contact with each day the way you want to be treated. If we all try to do this, we CAN make this world a nicer place for all.
I saw this over at the web site Cracked and just had to share it with you folks. I thought it was way too good to pass up. Of course I am just an old cynical, sarcastic SOB, so take it as you wish. 

5 comments:

  1. Sadly what 61% of what our people now believe scares the crap out of me. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. True enough Scottie. The thing is, Cracked is sort of the web version of the good old Mad magazine. They do spoofs, satire, and run bits like what is trending today and the most important things happening this week, etc..
    It is amazing that 61% of the population of this country can agree on anything, crap or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cracked "history" is, well...not all it's cracked up to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill,
    I know that. I just go and check the site now and then just for a laugh of three. I prefer the Onion to Cracked, they don't claim to be anything other than satire/spoof news. Thanks for your comment and for reading this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I need to add one more thing to history. History, as anybody who has learned even a small bit in this life know that history is usually written by the victors. The folks who lost a war hardly ever get their story written down correctly. Just as there is and has been the "victors justice" there is and has been the "victors history". But then I am an old broken down cynical and very sarcastic SOB.
    Well, one can and must make at least one exception to the "victors history". Witness the recent film on PBS by little Ken Burns and his partner in said film. Yes, the recent PBS film series about the US war in Vietnam. That is the closing side trying like hell to rewrite history to suit the empire. And oh yes dear readers, 'Merikkka IS an empire. A failing one to be sure, but still an empire.

    ReplyDelete

Well, it sure has been a long time